14180 Dallas Parkway, Suite 720

Obtaining an I20 and Applying for Dependents


I am planning to visit USA this year for a holiday with my husband and 5 year old son. We plan to visit a few schools as well and if we are able to get an I20 for spring session. How long will it take for me get study visa? Can my husband and son stay back with me?


You can visit schools and see the criteria for admission. You cannot have an intent to change status in the country when coming in. As a visitor, you can only  have a visitor intent and if the CBP finds out the reason for the visit is to be a student, then you can be denied entry. In a case that you decide to change your status, you have to wait 90 days to make contact with any school or obtain  a 1-20, otherwise your change of status may be denied. Please be aware that if you file a change of status correctly, the dependents can be given status as F2.

Kindly set up time if you have more questions about anything.


Ahluwalia Law Offices Logo


For your safety and that of our Team, we are currently offering only phone consultations. Your deadlines remain our priority and will be met. Kindly keep up with our blogs for the latest on the impact of COVID-19 and if it impacts you.
Stay safe!

Phone: (972) 361-0606
Fax: (972) 361-0999
Email: frontdesk@ahluwalialaw.com