Question: My parents had green card for three years in late 1990s. They went back and never returned. And never maintained their green card status. They came to USA on visitor visa on July 2 2015. Presently they do not have legal status. They want to go back. What are consequences at the port on departure? What options do I have to make them legal. I am US citizen for past 25 years. Thank you.

Answer: If your parents are here without status for this long, their return back to US will be very tough. They will be subject to bar to their entry for 10 years. As a US citizen, you can sponsor them and they will be allowed to adjust their status here.