14180 Dallas Parkway, Suite 720

Travel and re-entry after a visa overstay

Question:  Can I leave the country on a granted advance parole if I overstayed my visa for 4 years, or will I trigger the 3-10 year bar when I am trying come back assuming my only ground of inadmissibility was a visa overstay?

Answer:  You are allowed travel with a properly filed and approved advance parole. However, the CBP has independent discretion to allow or withhold entry into the country.  This scenario has not proved to be an issue before, but I would advise caution till you adjust to a permanent resident, if possible.