USCIS has notified the public of a number of immigration relief measures that may be available to Nepali nationals affected by the earthquake that recently struck their home nation. Measures that may be available to Nepali nationals upon request include:
- The change or extension of nonimmigrant status for an individual who is currently in the U.S., even in cases where that person’s request is filed after the authorization period of admission has expired.
- A grant of re-parole
- Expedited processing of advance parole requests;
- Expedited adjudication and approval, if possible, of requests for off-campus employment authorization for F-1 students who are experiencing severe economic hardship;
- Expedited adjudication of employment authorization applications from Nepali nationals, when appropriate;
- Consideration for waivers of fees associated with USCIS benefit applications, based on an inability to pay; and
- Assistance replacing lost or damaged immigration or travel documents issued by USCIS, such as Permanent Resident Cards (green cards).